Pattern: Butterick 5583
New skills acquired:
- Ribbed cuffs and collar
- Time management?
There is nothing like rushing to finish a baby gift an hour before you are supposed to give it at the baby shower. This sleep sack marked the first baby item I ever attempted. In the end, it came out pretty good, but I did have some difficulty.
First of all, when I borrowed this pattern I started looking at all the wonderful fleece that was available (and on sale!). I had picked out something perfect for a baby girl when I remembered that my friend was due in April. This was a newborn sleep sack that she would not be wearing as a newborn. WRONG! I immediately picked out some cute cotton knit instead.
I do not have a serger at home, so this required me taking a special trip to my parent’s house in order to sew this up. I hadn’t bought a zipper yet, but I had most everything else so I figured I could do most of the work and install the zipper later. WRONG! Because I had to stitch on top of the zipper, keeping the front free, I was not able to stitch up the sides, which also delayed sleevework and making the casing.
Well at least I could make the sleeve cuffs, even if I couldn’t sew them on. I got a bit confused on the directions here – I thought I had them correctly until I looked at the picture. WRONG! It was pretty clear on the picture that the ribbings were going the opposite way than I had them. So I re-cut and sewed them the opposite way.
But I still couldn’t figure out how they were supposed to go on the sleeve, since now I had one pretty long cuff. The directions were no help….but then…..
Ohhhhhhh! Now they were ready to be sewn on the sleeves, whenever they were finished.
I figured I had made a pretty good dent in this project and I could just come back and spend a few hours before the shower finishing these last few steps…as long as I sewed in the zipper ahead of time…
Those few steps took a lot longer than I thought – I was having trouble serging around the curve of the armpit, and ended up re-serging 3 times. I told my mom I was going to serge the cuff onto the sleeve and she looked at me like I was nuts. Since I had to stretch the cuff to fit around the sleeve, I decided to stitch it on first, then serge around it to finish the edge. RIGHT! This was actually coming along….I thought I would actually beat my deadline and even have some extra time to cut out some fabric for another project…WRONG!
I also had to learn how to use my new snap fastener thingy that I had just bought online (twice, because one was lost in the snowstorm). No issues here, but it took a minute to figure out how to put the snap pieces in the plastic and hammer them into place. And I checked and double checked to make sure I was hammering the backing into the correct side. I didn’t want to make that mistake.
I’m not sure why, but when I finally finished up the casing on the bottom for the drawstring and packed up my stuff, it was a lot later than I thought. Well that was okay, since it should just take a little over a half hour to get to the shower. I’ll just plug it into my GPS and WRONG! One hour and 15 minutes!
So I was a little late…but I did make it, gifts in hand. All’s well that ends well, just maybe I shouldn’t cut it that close when making a gift. It’s hard to predict when things are going to go…..
3 thoughts on “The baby sleep sack and the series of wrong decisions”
Pingback: Oh Those Summer Nights | Threading Lightly
Gosh – I hate it when everything conspires to get in the way of a straightforward project. Anyway the outcome is lovely. Well done.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks! In the end it came out nicely, just seemed to have a bit of trouble in the process. It makes for a slightly comical story though!